I originally thought I would post “The” definitive list of best hamburgers in Austin but I quickly began to realize what a daunting task I was undertaking. So after much deliberation, pounds of artery clogging beef patties and what I’m certain amounts to an entire wheel of cheese. I’ve decided to post a somewhat subdued list entitled “My Favorite Austin Burger Joints”
I’ve explored Austin from North to South, East to West in search of
Austin’s best burger a delicious Austin burger. I’ve preformed extensive research to determine who Austinites think has the finest burger. I’ve taken a large list of Austin’s favorite burger joints, taste tested, (gain 10 pounds in the process) and broken that list down into my favorite Austin Burgers.
Let’s take a look at who made the cut, who missed the cut and who was excluded before I even got started.
Just to let you know I’ve purposefully left out several places for a few different reasons. No “Chain” restaurants (Whataburger, Carl’s Jr.,McDonald’s), No places who specialize in seafood, Mexican food or Asian food and then try to pawn off a burger from their kids menu and definitely no places that aren’t originally from Austin (In&Out Burger, Five Guys, Shake Shack, Hopdoddy)
Here is my favorite Austin burgers from five to my number one.
5. Casino El Camino – The Buffalo Burger: This Angus beef patty weighs in at three quarters of a pound of charbroiled deliciousness, covered in hot wing sauce and blue cheese crumbles.
4. Billie Jean’s Burger Pub – The Outlaw Burger: This half pound Angus beef patty comes with Cheddar cheese, sautéed onions, pickles bbq sauce topped with brisket and a fried egg! Awesome sauce!
3. The Jackalope – ‘Bama Burger: 9 ounces of fresh ground beef flame grilled and layered with pulled pork, cheddar cheese, onions, pickles and topped with an amazing spicy mayo coleslaw.
2. Hill’s Cafe – Country Bob Burger: this giant burger is served on a Kolache bun and piled high with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions, cheddar cheese, thick applewood bacon, brisket and a fried egg!
1. Jack Allen’s Kitchen – Fat Jack Burger: The incredible burger is made up of cheddar cheese, dill pickles, hickory sauce, bacon, and jalapeño mayonnaise! This is a surprisingly great burger coming from a restaurant that boast a diverse menu with a variety of unique dishes. I crown the Fat Jack Burger my favorite burger in Austin!
Honorable mentions include…Uncle Billy’s Brew and Que, Huts Hamburgers, Black Sheep Lodge, Shady Grove, Reds Porch, Phil’s Icehouse and Wholly Cow Burger.
There is a whole host of great burgers throughout Austin, if you have a favorite let me know!